What is this blog?
This is a travel blog about travelling as a backpacker on a budget, I’ll occasionally give out advice for different aspects of travelling and making the most out of exploring the world. Because of that, I mostly stay in hostels and find ways to travel in a frugal way.
I will give honest insights about the places I visit and stories from my experiences that will hopefully inspire you all to become more adventurous.
Some of my travel-related interests to give you an insight into this blog include:
- Getting under the skin of places which are misunderstood, including Latin American countries I have visited such as Colombia and El Salvador
- Furthermore visiting countries that really aren’t usual holiday destinations such as countries that used to be part of Yugoslavia, the iron curtain and the Soviet Union
- Travelling as a backpacker, that means travelling with my rucksack and staying in hostels. That means you will rarely find me at the Hilton, on a cruise ship or using a suitcase.
- Gaining an understanding of different cultures and learning languages
- Travelling by rail, this is because it is in my opinion the best way to get around and you may be surprised to hear that I hate flying
- Exploring football culture, taking in different atmospheres at matches and meeting fans of clubs from all over the world
- Finding the best places to eat local food
Who am I?
Well, first of all, my name is Hamish Wilson and I was born in Scotland in 2000, I grew up entirely in the suburbs in Glasgow. When I was younger, I was fortunate enough to visit a few countries like Italy, but I was always curious about different places all over the world.
Furthermore, in my younger years I spent most of my time playing Minecraft in my room, however in school I excelled at languages, especially Spanish. Because of this I decided to study Spanish and law at Stirling University and the rest is history.
What Does it Mean to be a Backpacker?
As a traveller, I would describe myself as a backpacker and that should give you an impression of what kind of travelling this blog covers. When you think of the word “backpacker” what comes to your mind? If you think backpacking is only about going to the beach in Barcelona and having overpriced beer in Amsterdam then I can tell you that that isn’t what this blog is about.
If I am to describe what it means to be a backpacker, I would say that it’s about preparing my rucksack and exploring different places. To my mind, backpacking is very rarely relaxing and it’s about finding the good, bad and downright grim within the world. From my experience, my backpacking adventures have been exhausting, both physically and mentally, however I have always felt that I have gained something from them.
How did I start Blogging?
Until I was 16, I had only been to Western Europe and North America. During the summer before my last year of high school, I went on a two week backpacking holiday with my dad in Southeast Asia. After that I was simply hooked and caught the travel bug. The reason why I wanted to write about my travels is because I was not so good at writing essays and saw it as practice. I started World of Wilson after a class during my semester abroad on a warm afternoon in Mexico City.